Finding Inspiration – Refining my Practitioners

In order to ensure that the show is of a high standard, it is important to note that there has to be influences from certain practitioners. Indeed, although this is an essential part of the marking criteria, I want to ensure that the references to those practitioners are not only clear but really well utilised in the show. So, in this post, I will explore the practitioners that I have taken inspiration from and looking to showcase in my upcoming show, The Ride of My Life.

Tim Crouch 

One of the first practitioners I am keen use is Tim Crouch. Now I have aware of this practitioner since the first year of my degree since performing an condensed version of his 2007 play, England. However, since doing the module, I have become obsessed with his style of performance in establishing the presence of the performer’s identity by performing other roles “as…” rather than “is…”. Indeed, I was inspired by the play, An Oak Tree, when he begins the show by introducing himself as himself playing a hypnotist in which this trust is then established and brings in a meta-theatrical presence as a performer and character. Indeed, the following video establishes how he does this establishment of the performer.

(juliageek, 2007).

The reason I have been interested in this is as my show encounters a personal story of my life, I want to be able to establish a relationship with the audience in which they are not only able to be immersed in the show but can trust me as a performer. Indeed, whilst I intend to take on certain roles, it would be under the idea of “Daniel Fotheringham as…” a ride attendant for example.

I am also keen on using him to create an immersive show that is visceral but exciting to observe and I was inspired by both ENGLAND and The Author in this case. Indeed, they both use interesting staging to help immerse the audience into a show and get a deeper meaning. For example, the play, ENGLAND occurs in an art exhibition in the Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh as whilst it focuses on a persons journey for a heart transplant, it’s main theme focuses on a tour of an art exhibition. Likewise, Crouch’s The Author is set in traverse staging in which the setting is the Jerwood Theatre Upstairs in the Royal Court Theatre.

Image result for the author staging tim crouch
(Kenton, 2009).

In this case, I want to utilise this idea of immersion by creating the studio space into the seating of a rollercoaster carriage and having a projection board to suggest certain things. By this, I will be able to create something similar to the style of Tim Crouch by having something as an overarching concept in which something smaller occurs. In other words, the rollercoaster can therefore be used as a metaphor to talk about my childhood and can be utilised as an idea for achieving the impossible.

Chris Goode

Another practitioner that I have been massively inspired by is the work of Chris Goode and his use of storytelling. Indeed, Goode has the use of storytelling to showcase that we have forgotten to tell stories and that sometimes, less is more. This is vital for me as whilst the show has to be visual, I want to ensure that it has the heart and has the story needed with a solidified beginning, middle and end.

One show that inspires me is the play, Monkey Bars which is a verbatim theatre piece in which adults answer questions by children in the style of children. Now whilst the show my piece is not verbatim and instead a personal story, one thing that interests me is the possibility of using childlike language and seeing how the language can be used for comedic purposes. Indeed, the show focuses on my childhood at an adult age and I think by using this idea of childhood language and honest words could be used not only for poignancy but also comedy.

(ChrisGoode andCo, 2013).

Refreshment by Craig Gingrich-Philbrook

One final influence on this show is Philbrooks autobiographical play, Refreshment which focuses on a shooting at a Gay Pride parade. The reason I have been inspired by this play is the fact that this ten minute play does interesting things by focusing on the personal event and a bigger topic which is about what it means to live in the LGBT+ community.

https://blackboard.lincoln.ac.uk/bbcswebdav/pid-1901890-dt-content-rid-3222862_2/courses/DRA3043M-1718/DRA3043M-1516_ImportedContent_20160128062018/Autobiographical%20Performance%20Scripts.pdf

I particularly am inspired by this text as I want to ensure that whilst the piece is personal, it speaks on a broader level about achieving the impossible and has some meaning for a wider audience. Indeed, I feel that this piece should connect to people and I hope that it is more important to people to discuss the ideas of bettering yourself.

So these are my influences. For the next few weeks, I need to script it. Currently, I have ideas on how this can be furthered and I hope to further these ideas more so the piece can be truly unique and special.

Till then folks.