Work-In-Progress 1 – Discussion of the idea

photo

In creating theatre, it is always important to know that you have to go with your heart and in this case, this is something that I have chosen to do. In my previous workshop on this module, I was given the opportunity to pitch my solo performance and explain what I wanted to do prior to starting rehearsals on the piece. As mentioned previously, this was an idea that I was keen to explore because I felt it was of high importance and relevance considering that we are obsessed with the idea of social media and the culture of it has become massive. However, in pitching the idea, it dawned upon me that the idea would not work. Therefore, the idea has been scrapped.

Now this has been down to loads of reasons but one of the key reasons is because that whilst the idea was a strong one and held cultural relevance for a modern audience particularly, the idea felt too broad. Indeed, whilst explaining the idea, I felt concerned that what I was doing was focusing too much on the knowledge about the topic due to how niche the topic rather than exploring what I wished to do with the topic. Likewise, whilst it is ok to do a piece based on a topic, if there is too much knowledge and not enough substance to make your piece theatrical then you face the risk of the piece becoming not too dissimilar to a lecture and quite didactic. Therefore, I have decided to scrap the idea and try to think of an idea of what I wish to do.

At this moment, I don’t know too much on what I wish to focus on but I think that there should be something based on social media due to the fact that it has consumed our lives in the past decade or so. In particular, this idea of social media is interesting and something that I am considering to explore a stimulus for the time in the hope of being able to branch out about something new. However, as time goes on, who knows what the piece will become.